Mothers and Body Image

Last week I got the idea to write up a post about my thoughts and body image in mothers.

Before I got pregnant, I had fleeting thoughts that I might be a bit overweight, but at 105 pounds with no flab, those ideas were caused by youthful fantasies and stomach rolls caused by bending over.

A lot of girls at my height and age can be lighter than 105, but they're also smaller boned and less muscular.


But I didn't fret over it, because I knew I didn't need to lose weight.

Anyway.

I was a little disheartened to see the numbers on the scale go up every time I met the midwife, but I knew it was good. In the end, I gained 25 pounds, though 10 quickly came off. I am around 120 now, and I plan to get down to 110.

There is no way I'll be back to 105, at least, not and be healthy. My body has been changed, and I don't expect it to be the perfect thing it was before Yance came along.


That's a big thing, I think. Some women aren't happy with their post-pregnancy body. They convinced themselves that they should go right back to being tiny and perfectly conditioned without any difficulty, and so when they don't have time or energy to work out, they beat themselves up over it. But it's not necessarily good to be in a hurry to get back to a pre-pregnancy size.

While I do agree that losing some baby fat and getting down to within 10 pounds of pre-pregnancy weight is good, getting all the way back to that petite number you had (if you were in good shape) is unrealistic. Unless, of course, you were already overweight before you got pregnant. I think you ladies with that problem can ignore that and try to lose a bit more and get to a nice, small size.

For me, my goal is to be able to fit into my wedding dress 6-12 months after each baby is born. I know, I'm a bit bigger than I was then, but the dress has enough give to be able to fit me even when I am at 125 pounds.



And I have tried it on several times, since giving birth to Yance, fitting it every single time.

Now for working out.

I don't believe in keeping your body perfectly toned and muscled all the time, day in and day out. It takes a ton of effort, and the older you get, the harder it gets to keep it that way. And the more kids you have (or the younger the kids you have are), it gets even harder to find time to work out.

So I just do a little workout and try to be active, messing with horses or walking or whatever.

Once March 1 rolls around and I begin working with Dingus 5-6 days per week, I should find it easier to get the weight off.


For those of you who can't get up and be active, this post is not for you. I'm sorry and I hope you get to where you can be up and active. And don't beat yourself up. Please.

So. My tips for keeping a good body weight through motherhood are.....

Eat healthy. Don't just eat junk food or when you feel like it! You actually need to eat good food and restrain yourself when you have cravings. If you find yourself hungry and it's not meal time, find some fruit or vegetables to munch on.

Work out. I don't even mean using weights or anything. Find something like T-Tapp and the Basic 15-minute Workout Plus. Which is what I use, and I can feel it in my back, neck, shoulders, hips, and legs.

Play with the kids. Especially if they're toddlers or maybe a little older. By playing with them, I mean building stuff with blocks, playing tag, hide and seek, going to the park and playing on the swings, and holding little races. Being active with the kids, not hooking up to a screen to play computer and video games. It's good for them, too.

Research. That's right. Find out what a good time of day for someone your age to work out is, with intent to lose weight. And then work out at that time. Find a workout that works for you, and try different things with your diet and with supplements.

Sleep. A good night's sleep can do wonders.

Breastfeed. Seriously. Breastfeeding for at least 6 months will take off several pounds.

Stay focused. But don't be so focused on yourself that you let life go by. Have fun with your husband, do random, surprising things. Maybe make it a goal to do 5k walks or runs, or marathons. Enjoy the children. They will be out of the house before you know it.



And as for keeping weight off during menopause, I will let you know my ideas once I've reached that stage.

I intend to keep a good weight but not be too absorbed by that when I'm a grandma. I might have some flab, maybe some rolls, but for me, personally, I want to be able to play with the grandkids and possibly great-grandkids. Riding horses and working cows. And fitting into clothing sized small.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

New Year, New President