Review: Election, Breeders' Cup, opening days of KeeNov

Breeders' Cup World Championships 2016

The Breeders' Cup World Championships was a ride. I watched all thirteen of the races, four times getting the exacta, and another time getting the winner. In all, I had fourteen in-the-money finishes, spread across nine races. I struck out completely in four races. While I didn't bet, I'm going to act like I bet across-the-board on all 39 of my picks OR to show, giving you prices on how much I would've spent and how much I would've gotten back for either option.

Headed out on Day 1 to see the races

The Juvenile Turf was the first race on Friday.

I didn't expect my C pick, Oscar Performance, to do as well as he did in a race predominately won by Europeans. But when my B pick, Lancaster Bomber, and A pick, Intelligence Cross, sat back in the field and Oscar Performance stalked the early lead on the speed-favoring Santa Anita turf course, it was all over for the others.

Wellabled set the early pace, setting quick fractions, and then fell back as they went around the far turn. Oscar Performance took over and was a length and a quarter clear of Lancaster Bomber, who closed from eighth to hold off a game Good Samaritan  by a neck. Intelligence Cross was 9th, a neck ahead of Wellabled.



Betting across-the-board, I would've spent $18, and gotten back $46.40 with Oscar Performance and Lancaster Bomber finishing first and second. I would've made $28.40.

Betting to show, I would've spent $6, and gotten back $12, effectively doubling my money. The Juvenile Turf turned out to be my most profitable race.



In the Dirt Mile, my B pick, Runhappy, who I did NOT expect to win (but did expect in the trifecta),  set the early pace. But he dropped back, and my A pick, Dortmund, briefly took over. But somehow he ran out of gas, and C pick Gun Runner went by him. And then Tamarkuz went by Gun Runner, and Accelerate came up the rail.

Tamarkuz wins the Dirt Mile, followed by Gun Runner (#9) and Accelerate (rail)

In the end, Gun Runner finished second, beaten 3 1/2 lengths, while Dortmund was fourth, 3/4 of a length behind Gun Runner. Runhappy finished eighth, ahead of only Texas Chrome.

After spending $18, I would've received only $9.80 back, losing $8.20 for across-the-board bets. Betting to show, and spending $6, I would've gotten only $4.60, losing $1.40.


Then it came to the Juvenile Fillies Turf. I completely struck out there, but if I had given myself the option of picking while watching the race, I would've done better. However, I didn't know just how terribly the Euro juveniles would do on Thursday, and it wasn't until the Juvenile Turf that I got an idea that my picks were terrible options. However, I probably would've still finished out of the money, unless by some chance I picked runner-up Coasted in the post parade. She would've been my only choice out of the first three finishers.

New Money Honey wins the Juvenile Fillies Turf

In the end, C pick Roly Poly finished 9th, beaten only 4 3/4 lengths, while A pick Intricately was 11th, another 3 1/2 lengths back. Hydrangea was the worst finisher, coming in 14th and last, beaten 18 and a half lengths.

Betting $18, I would've lost every penny, as for a $6 three-horse show bet.


Finally, it came to the Distaff, and my only regret is deciding to choose I'm A Chatterbox over Forever Unbridled, for I was 50/50 on either of them, and not thrilled about choosing Stellar Wind.

It came down to a stretch duel between my A and B picks, Songbird and Beholder, and it was a half-nose difference at the wire, with Beholder going out in the style she deserved, while Songbird only narrowly missed staying unbeaten. If we hadn't had cameras, it might've been judged a dead-heat back in the old days, and that is what I consider it. I'm A Chatterbox finished fifth, beating home only Curalina and Land Over Sea, who did not deserve to be in this race, and was beaten 6 1/2 lengths.



Betting $18, I would've received $21.20, making $3.20. Betting $6 to show, I would've received $5.80, losing 20 cents.



My reaction to the Distaff, which my sweet husband got back in time from work to watch, was to push my fist into the air as Beholder and Songbird crossed the finish line. I knew Beholder had won, and she had proven herself  every bit on her game, not losing a step. She deserved the victory, and now we await her first foal, to be born in 2018 by Uncle Mo.



The first race on Saturday was the Juvenile Fillies, which I totally struck out on. My horses finished 6th (A pick, Union Strike), 7th (early leader and C pick, Noted and Quoted), and 8th (B pick, Dancing Rags.

Noted and Quoted simply ran out of fuel, but Union Strike broke slowly and was rank, running tenth for much of the race before gaining four positions and getting beat 9 1/2 lengths. Noted and Quoted was another half-length behind her, and then came Dancing Rags, who weakened after bearing out at the start. She finished only a head behind Noted and Quoted.

Champagne Room wins the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies

Betting across-the-board, I would've lost $18, and to show $6. It wasn't the first time I struck out that day.


The Filly & Mare Turf was next, and I was a half-nose away from victory. Catch A Glimpse, my C pick, stalked the early pace, but dropped out of it and simply could not keep up, weakening to eighth. But Lady Eli, the A pick, came from tenth and briefly led before getting nosed out on the line by Queen's Trust. Seventh Heaven, my B pick, just got outkicked in the end, finishing fourth, beaten for the show by 3/4 of a length from game Avenge, and 1 3/4 lengths behind the first two finishers.


Across-the-board, I would've earned $6 back of the $18 spent, losing $12, and betting to show would've made only $2.80 of the $6 spent, losing $3.20.


In the Sprint, I was thrilled to see my C pick, Drefong, on the lead with A pick Masochistic, with B pick A.P. Indian stalking them. And I got another exacta, with Drefong running off to win by 1 1/4 lengths, and Masochistic just holding off a flying Mind Your Biscuits for second by a nose. A.P. Indian was another 3 1/4 lengths back in fourth, simply having nothing left.


Across-the-board, I would've gotten $25.20 for $18 of betting, making a total of $7.20 on the race. To show, I would've received $6.60, making 60 cents.


The Turf Sprint was wide open, and perhaps I would've chosen Obviously as a C pick if I'd let myself consider him. But instead I struck out, finishing 6th (A pick Holy Lute), 7th (C pick Washington DC), and 13th (B pick Ambitious Brew).

Holy Lute and Washington DC simply had no late bid, but Ambitious Brew weakened badly, beating home only Karar. The trio was beaten home 3 1/2, 4 1/4, and 8 1/4 lengths.

That explosive kick right at the end from Om was something else, and he seriously should consider sprinting down the hill from now on! He only missed by a nose from very deserving winner Obviously, and came from last to do it.


I would've lost $18 across-the-board and $6 to show, but I don't feel bad. Obviously deserved the win, and even Pure Sensation, the Eastern horse who'd never run down the hill, proved himself a very gallant horse to watch.


Then came the Juvenile.

Klimt broke way too slowly out of gate 1, losing all chance, and Gormley ran wide, wearing himself out. Not This Time was the most impressive of the three, coming from sixth on a speed-favoring track to only miss by a neck to a very game Classic Empire (who potentially had the speed bias in his favor, having run 1st or 2nd throughout), and now I will definitely be watching him on the Road to the Kentucky Derby. Classic Empire's sire has already sired a Triple Crown winner, but Not This Time is proven at Churchill Downs and is sired by Giant's Causeway, while being a half to Liam's Map, who could get 9 furlongs but never tried 10.

Not This Time was second, beaten a neck, while Gormley, running 4 wide throughout in 5th, tired to 7th. Klimt, who ran out to five-wide for his bid, never improved from eighth, finishing a half-length behind the horse who had beaten him in his previous start, and 16 3/4 lengths behind the winner.


Across the board, it was a loss of $10, making back $8 of the $18 potentially spent. To show, it was a loss of $2.60, making only $3.40 of the $6 I could've spent.


And then it was time for the Turf, the race I looked forward to the most besides the Classic on Saturday.

Highland Reel just took off and never looked back, winning by 1 3/4 from a gallant Flintshire. It was my A pick and his barnmate, Found, back in third, splitting horses late to finish 4 lengths behind her stablemate. Da Big Hoss ran eleventh and had no bid, beating home only Mondialiste by 5 1/4 lengths. The final time of 2:23 was the fastest Turf run ever.


Across the board, I would've come out $3.20 on top, bringing $21.20 for $18 of betting. To show, I would've made 40 cents, bringing $6.40 for $6 of betting.


I struck out one last time in the Filly & Mare Sprint.

My A pick, Haveyougoneaway, was the best finisher, running evenly throughout to be beaten 4 1/2 lengths, finishing 7th. Two spots and 2 lengths behind her was Carina Mia, my B pick, who never factored. Another two spots and three lengths farther back was Gloryzapper, who led initially but weakened late.

Finest City draws away from Wavell Avenue again to win the F&M Sprint
In total, I would've lost $18 across the board, and $6 to show.


And then came the Mile.

Tepin continued the weekend's routine of unsuccessful defending champions, but finished the best of all of them, running a fast-closing second, coming from seventh, to Tourist. It was only a half-length loss, and I think she and Lady Eli both deserve the Female Turf Horse title. Unfortunately, a tie is unlikely to happen.

Miss Temple City, who ran third and fourth for a good portion of the race, was outkicked in the end, beaten 2 1/4 lengths for the win and finished fifth. Alice Springs, eighth or ninth throughout, came in another 2 3/4 lengths back in tenth.


Across the board, I would've lost $9.60, making back $8.40 on Tepin of the $18 bet. To show, I would've lost $2.20, making back $3.80.


Finally, it was time for the big one, the Classic. In my heart, I was rooting for California Chrome, who deserved the victory oh-so-richly, and to cap off a perfect season. But at the same time, I wanted Arrogate and Frosted, who both had questions to answer, to prove themselves.

They did. Arrogate proved himself a champion, and Frosted nothing more than a miler, or a New Yorker, you pick.

California Chrome led most of the way and kicked on in the stretch, but Arrogate, who had been a good 3 1/2 lengths behind him at one point, kicked on too. The two fought for the lead for a little bit, flying away from the rest of the horses. And then Arrogate edged by the champion, beating him by half a length and leaving me in shock, not sure how to react. California Chrome, even in defeat, had run the best race of his life and left the rest of the field at least 10 3/4 lengths behind.

Frosted ran fourth at one point, but just had no response, finishing sixth, 19 1/4 lengths behind the winner.


I stared in shock. Arrogate had done something nobody had been able to do all year, not Dortmund, not Beholder. He had run down and beaten the great (yes, great) California Chrome. I had expected Chrome, even if Arrogate should prove himself a worthy champion, to hold off the young upstart and gain the win. But Arrogate did more than prove himself a worthy champion. In that moment, he beat another worthy champion, and became the horse who cleared up the 3yo Colt question.

Across the board, I would've lost $2.20, making back $15.80 of $18 spent. To show, I would've lost $1, making back $5.00 of $6 spent.


At the end of the weekend, across-the-board, I would've spent $234 and made $162 (69%) back, losing $72. Betting to show, I would've spent $78, and made $50.40 (65%) of it back, losing $27.60.



I'm glad I didn't spend any money.

But, now I know to wait and watch, have preliminary picks but be prepared to change them, for next year's Breeders' Cup at Del Mar. And maybe, just maybe, we can make money if we go to the 2018 BC at Churchill Downs!

Veteran's Day

Today is the day we remember those who came back from the wars we've fought. To commemorate it, I wrote a poem.

There are people
In this country today
Who fought for us all,
Ready to give their lives away.

They fought for freedom
So that we could stay
Innocent and unscathed
In war's ugly fray.

Some young people
Still do fight o'er the sea
For the same freedoms
The old ones did see.

They'll come back
With terrible nightmares,
That life in a warzone
Doth give without any cares.

Others will be crippled,
For a short time or life -
Marks they gained fighting
To keep us from that strife.

The old ones tell stories
Of their lives on the line,
And we wonder how they made it
And got to their homes so fine.

And then there are those
Who are home from the strife,
But still in the workforce
Trying to live a normal life.

And finally let's remember
Those who came home
Without limbs or sanity
And feel all alone.

Let us thank all
Who know the warzone,
And let us remind them
That they're not alone.

And let us keep the freedoms
That overseas they fought for,
For if we lose them here,
Then what did they fight for?


Election Result



It was with a big sigh of relief that I read the final result of the 2016 election. Now we have four more years, instead of two more months, to prepare for the worst, and I intend to put them to use.

Now let's hope and pray (I'm not kidding, pray) that Mr. Trump does what he said he would do in office.

Keeneland November: The First 3 Days

Most of the horses I had picked went through the ring in the first two sessions. Of the 15 that went through the ring, eleven sold, bringing a total of $6,635,000. The other four did not attain their reserves, which collectively added up to $2,075,000.

Madame Giry, in foal to first-year sire Honor Code, RNA'd (reserve not attained) for $150,000. She was the first through the ring, and the first to not sell.

Madame Giry winning the listed Buffalo Trace Franklin County at Keeneland in 2012

My Conquestadory, in foal to Tapit, sold for $1.5 million to SF Bloodstock & Newgate Farm.


Promise Me Silver, recently retired from racing, sold for $325,000 to Adena Springs.


The unnamed Will Take Charge--Sacred Forest filly sold for $170,000 to Gary Contessa, agent.

Credit to Lucia {WTC} on Twitter
She's Not Here, recently retired from racing, sold for $1.3 million to China Horse Club.

The unnamed Will Take Charge--Summer Soiree colt sold for $350,000 to Dennis O'Neill.
Photo credit Nicole Russo, Twitter
Burning Arch, in foal to American Pharoah, sold for $325,000 to Hinkle Farms.

Crisp, in foal to American Pharoah, sold for $350,000 to Katsumi Yoshida.
Photo credit Nicole Russo, Twitter
Favorably, in foal to Honor Code, sold for $145,000 to Fred W. Hertrich, III.

Island Hop, in foal to Honor Code, sold for $120,000 to Chad Schumer, agent.

Lexie Lou, recently retired from racing, sold for $1 million to KI Farm.
Photo credit Christie DeBernardis, Twitter

The unnamed Scat Daddy--Mekko Hokte weanling full sister to Caravaggio RNA'd for $625,000.
Photo credit Nicole Russo, Twitter
The unnamed Tapit--Serena's Cat colt sold for $1.05 million to Baccari Bloodstock.
Photo credit BloodHorse, Anne M. Eberhardt
The unnamed Tapit--Storm Dixie filly RNA'd for $575,000.

The unnamed Frankel--Stormy Sunday filly RNA'd for $725,000.
As a foal earlier this year, photo credit Michael Hernon, Twitter
The rest of the horses, Swipe, Dynamic Sky, Jericho, Dads Caps, and General Quarters don't sell until sessions 8, 9, and 11, next week.

In My Life

Meet my parrot, Cookie

Well as of yesterday I had 54,040 words in on NanoWrimo. Unfortunately, I haven't won yet, because they don't allow that to happen until later on in the month (as in about the 20th or so). But I do have my word count recorded, and I still have fourteen more years to cover, so I'm not too worried.

He's growing up!

My husband and I are preparing to go to our final confirmed reenactment this year, and I can't wait to be there. Cookie will be staying behind, hanging out with old buddies Geronimo and Victorio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest