Six Months to Baby

Give or take a few days, in six months the newest Baker will be in the world. Now what might his or her life be like?

This kid will grow up knowing the ins and outs of horse racing as well as its mother. Hopefully one day I can impart the same knowledge to the child's father, too, but that could be a while. Lol... he's awesome though and is pretty consistent at picking winners.

Regardless whether we have a son or daughter, this kid will be hunting from day 1. Snakes, squirrels, hogs, deer, etc., will have a renewed sense of fear. Not that they're safe right now with my husband and his cousins always around....

Have no fear. This child will also be drilled in gun safety. There are guns everywhere in this house, for self-defense mostly but also hunting. Little .380 Thunder pistols and .12 gauge shotguns and just about everything in between can be found in this house.

Horsemanship will be something this baby possesses. Do you want to know why? Well, when we have as many horses as we do on the place (one QH stud, four mares, a colt which should be gelded by then, and a 21yo gelding), this new Baker better have some decent horsemanship! The kid's been riding since before it was born and that won't stop. We'll be going on rides with the little baby in tow, and it won't be long before he or she is helping to tack up and brush the horses, and leading them around. I didn't have the luxury of being around horses all my life, but my husband was and he turned out great so I don't suppose anyone will convince us to not put the kid around horses from birth. We will, however, be very careful and make sure no clumsy four-hooved idiot bothers to trip over him or her.

Speaking of four-hooved idiots... this child will be like its father--a genuine cowgirl/boy. Why? Well, there are a lot of cattle on this ranch, and someday he or she will have to learn how to handle and take care of them. Fixing fences and hunting down runaway or hiding cows will become a good part of its life.

And in other things, he or she will know how to play at least one instrument, but if my sweet husband has his way (and I hope he does) then the child will grow up playing all these instruments...:
Dobro
Guitar
Fiddle (NOT violin.. ;)
Banjo
Bass (and possibly bass guitar)
and possibly piano and drums.

Not to mention the annual reenactments, the gardening that will be done, and rodeos, play days, trail rides, cooking, cleaning....

This child, and all of its siblings, will know how to camp outside, light a fire outside and in the indoor wood stove (I unfortunately am only remotely good at the wood stove... and terrible outside), cut and bale hay, wash laundry, clean house, be responsible, and work until the job is done. Oh, and they'll all be homeschooled! I was and my husband was, and no, I am not going to say, "how hard can it be?" I've seen my mother do it with me and my four siblings. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

On another note: this child (and his or her siblings) descend from numerous Confederate soldiers... from his father. That means that our sons and daughters will be at Sons of Confederate Veterans meetings quite often. Their father is a member, and their grandfather is currently the local camp commander. This means a whole new perspective of history not many get these days. Combining this with reenacting and all of these youngsters will know the ins and outs of the War for Southern Independence.
Oh, I trace from Revolutionary War Loyalists and pacifist Mennonites. Uh.... Yep. Though the Mennonite blood-giver (Dad) is anything but pacifist. And neither am I. Nor do I think of myself as Canadian despite being born and bred there.

I only hope and pray that I am a good enough mother to encourage these children in the things I know little about and teach them in the things I do know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest