Six Months of Joy

Three days from now, my sweet husband and I will have been married for six months. In those six months, we have participated in two reenactments (and our third as a married couple is next weekend), lived first without any electricity or running water (in the house anyway), and then with electricity and limited running water. We have fallen more and more in love with each other, which is nearly impossible to believe. We were so in love on our wedding day--how could our love have grown like this?

My best friend is my husband, and I cannot imagine life without him. Okay, that isn't exactly true, but I have no idea exactly what I would be doing today if we hadn't met a year and a half ago. Sure, I had plans to move out with KitMarie and get a job, saving money toward paying for an entire course with the Thoroughbred Racing Academy in Kentucky. But I wouldn't  be nearly as happy as I am now.
I've developed a sort of bond with my father-in-law's stallion, and with the ten-year-old's suckling son. I love having all these horses here, even though I do not interact with any for days on end due to energy restrictions. One can have all sorts of adventures when there's a two-month-old colt, a two-year-old filly, a ten-year-old Quarter Horse stallion, an eleven-year-old Morgan mare, a fourteen-year-old Pinto mare, a teenage grade mare of unknown vintage (but getting on in years), and a twenty-one-year-old grade quarter horse gelding on the place.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I find it hard to believe that for the first three months of marriage I functioned without electricity or running water, instead washing dishes outside and keeping the windows open inside to allow for airflow. And somehow I survived two months of morning sickness that piled right on behind the concussion recovery after the horse wreck that was three months ago yesterday.
Tomorrow we go to the races, and in a way that would commemorate our six-month anniversary. How else to celebrate than by going and enjoying a day at the track, which was our favorite event during our honeymoon and made the last day of our stay in Hot Springs the most enjoyable?

And then there is a reenactment next weekend. This one to me holds special meaning, for it was at this very reenactment last year (though it was held two weeks earlier in the year) that D asked my father for my hand in marriage. This year, the Saturday night ball will occur one year to the day after my husband proposed. A year after that momentous occasion, we will be headed to battle as a threesome, with myself, my husband, and the little Baker inside the growing belly of mine (which will still fit inside my ball gown--barely), going out. And we will, of course, be bringing our crazy little Cookie, since we'll be gone from Friday night until sometime late Sunday. I crocheted a harness and leash for him, and we've been going on walks, teaching him what he's supposed to do with it. He's catching on fast, though he does get worn out quickly--he has to jog to keep up with us at a walk so that of course tires him out.
The weekend he asked for my hand
We won't be bringing a horse, as we can't afford to transport one and we don't trust the truck that will be doing the hauling to survive the trip, either. But there will be plenty of horses out there that we can ride, and so I shouldn't be too sad. As it is, the reenactment debut I had hoped to unleash my Sue at won't happen this year. If we're lucky (and do lots of work), she and I will appear on the battlefield in May next year, on Derby Day. Next weekend's reenactment is the last time I plan to be on the battlefield until the baby is old enough to be left with friends for a couple hours while I ride out there.
This will probably be Cookie's only reenactment. The next one is the weekend before Thanksgiving, and by then Cookie will be a solid little three-and-a-half month old kitten. He might come to that one, but more than likely he will stay home, either in the house or outside.

Wearing his harness for the first time
Trying to help me fix my ball gown

So next week I have a lot of work to do. I need to cook food to bring, break out the boxes with the stashes of reenacting stuff to make sure we have everything we need in them, wash whatever clothing that needs to be clean for then (like my ball gown), make sure the cat crate is clean so Cookie can stay in that while we're on the battlefield or at the ball, and at the same time rest up so I'm not worn out when we get there on Friday night.

I doubt I will get a blog post up next week. If I do, it will be on Thursday, and if I don't, expect one the following Monday.

I had my midwife's appointment today. It was supposed to be yesterday but... she was kinda busy helping two women in labor. The baby is fine (it was a pain getting it to hold still to get a good reading on the heartbeat, crazy sucker), and so am I. In fact, she called me "perfect"! Wow! My weight gain is good, my iron level is really good, and I'm immune to rubella, which is interesting because I was never vaccinated for it unless it was one of those I got in the first days or weeks of life. Not that I put much stock in vaccines, because I don't. Neither does she, and was impressed by that immunity. The only thing is that my blood type is A-. If my dear D's blood type (which reportedly is A, too, but his mom doesn't know if it's positive or negative) is positive, I need to get rhogam shots at 28 weeks and at birth. If he's negative, then I'm good and the baby will get his blood type checked to make sure he or she isn't one of those 1-in-250k that is positive with negatives for parents. My next appointment is in 4 weeks, on Thursday (hopefully).

Until then, y'all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest