Our Marriage (at 5 1/2 months)

This marriage, between myself and my sweet husband, has been an adventure. So I have decided to list off an approximate calendar of our first few months of married life and the events that happened in them:

March: Married... the month ended while we were on our week-long honeymoon
Pre-wedding antics (morning of) D (right) and one of his friends playing with a guitar while Dad looks on

He is getting ready to prepare me for the onslaught of birdseed
Can I give wedding guests advice? Don't CHUNK the birdseed at the couple--toss it gently over their heads so they can get a nice shower, not a hailstorm. Birdseed in the eyes and ears is not a pleasant sensation.

Also some advice for the families/friends of couples getting married--if it is clear that one or both of the couple (especially the groom) DO NOT want their getaway vehicle decorated, DON'T do it! You might just end up scrubbing the vehicle off and cleaning it before they head off on their honeymoon, with the newlyweds supervising. Also, no dirty remarks written on the car, please.


Yeah, these both happened to us. Fortunately, there were no infections given by the birdseed storm and we didn't get put behind schedule at all despite the getaway car getting scrubbed down and cleaned up. In the end, while those two things may have darkened our day, it was a good day.


April:
We came home to a house with a ceiling and a bedroom with walls (mostly) done. We also had new doors which actually closed on our house! That was awesome!
Dad took this the week after our honeymoon
We went to our first reenactment as a married couple the very next weekend, and had a good time. Only thing is our best man decided to overheat so he ended up getting an ambulance ride to the local hospital on Saturday night. But he was back on the battlefield the next day none the worse for wear! He learned his lesson and now drinks way more water. Phew! His wife thanks him, I'm sure.
Showing wedding photos to my sis-in-law (sitting) and cousin-in-law (standing) at that reenactment
I am now cooking lunch and supper on the outdoor grill every day (except perhaps Sunday lunch, which is eaten at D's grandma's). We buy A LOT of boxed meals, and decide that macaroni and cheese every day is a little overwhelming. Dishes are washed every day outside, and D brings me pallets to set the wash and rinse buckets on (and the drying rack too) to keep me from sitting in the mud. Odo (now gone) helps pre-wash dishes.
Laundry is taken care of by me hauling basket loads to the trailer house just up the driveway and then hauling them back to hang them on the line. This is still how we do it, though we are working on getting set up for a washing machine in our own house here soon.

May:
We go to our second reenactment as a married couple, and nearly drown (it feels like anyway). It was a very wet weekend. No worries of overheating!

Ga-Ga Ball...
We also go to another edition of the mini-shindig we met at the year before, at a totally different location with a much bigger crowd. I come away sick for a few days, but it's not bad. We had lots of fun. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing when friends and family made it possible for us to afford the trip.

And basketball!

June:
It is starting to get pretty warm out now, so I am spending every few evenings at my in-law's to cool off in their air conditioning. By now, I am working with Sneaky, who I plan to re-start next April.

D starts a new job with A LOT more pay so now I am only cooking supper because I don't have to worry about feeding him lunch, instead eating leftovers or snacking for lunch.

And then one Wednesday evening I decide to ride Sneaky and the wreck happens, which I have no memory of. D freaks out (understandably) and I can't even mention it in passing... again understandable, especially when I think of our roles being reversed. I am glad it was me and not him, and in a way he is too--I can't carry him, but he can carry me!

We also find out I'm pregnant.

I spend the next month and a half at my in-law's place. A break from cooking and laundry!

July:
Well, the side effects from the concussion I sustained wear off, and then morning sickness sets in. I get a lot of cabin fever from being bedridden for so long.

I miss you, Odo
Work begins to get serious for electricity getting put in this house. D spends several evenings getting places set up for it.


Dingus is born.

We go do a very disappointing gun show.

August:
We finally reveal to my siblings that I'm pregnant, and the next week are back in our own house. Being back in our own house gives me a little more energy and I find myself able to do a little more than I had before.

I'm still cooking supper on that outdoor grill for a couple weeks, when I can't use the toaster oven. I appreciate electricity a lot, now.



The official reveal is made about the pregnancy, and at the same time the grill runs out of propane... which hasn't been replenished... and we get an electric burner with two elements and use that instead. It is now our primary cooking tool.

We also end up with water being run to the kitchen sink so dishes can be washed inside. Still no hot water, so now I boil water in a kettle and add it to the cold water in the sink when I wash dishes.  I'm now making a lot more food from scratch.

September:
The airsoft field my husband, family, and friends will play on this weekend
Well, in the week and a half that September's been around.... not much has happened. The living room is rearranged, the kitchen is slightly rearranged (and cleaner), both of the credit for can be given to my husband. We now have a TV set up, and a VHS player hooked up to it. You won't believe how many VHS tapes we have. That's what happens when D goes to Goodwill and finds a lot of good movies...!


This weekend we go to my parents' place for an airsoft open house at their field. Morning sickness is beginning to wear off, which is AWESOME.



I love my husband. He is always here for me, and is growing in the Lord. At the same time, he is bringing me closer to God. What an awesome young man. He always, always leaves me amazed. As we near the six month mark of marriage, I wonder how life could get any better. Right here I have a man who thanks the Lord for me every day and wishes the very best for me. Right here I have a best friend, a lover, and I am trying to let myself make him my dearest confidante--it's what he's here for. D needs me, loves me, holds me, wipes away my tears, and protects me. I don't deserve him. I thank God for him every day.

(oh, a note: if anyone wants a leather holster for their gun or a sheath for a knife... my husband can do it! It's his business! Yes, I know--I'm advertising for him here. Contact him at ybardleather@gmail.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest