Photo Thoughts Part 10: Missy


It was the middle of January 2016, almost two years ago. Kmarie lived in Lubbock, starting her first semester at Texas Tech there. And J and I took a trip to go see her.

At the time, she was leasing a Thoroughbred ex-racehorse, a tiny mare that was jumped some. The New Mexico-bred was a lovely thing, and to date is the only Thoroughbred I have ridden. This picture was taken of me riding in the arena where horses owned/used by Tech students were boarded. More specifically, it was the indoor arena.

Missy, registered as Starrcliff, was foaled April 7, 2006. A dark bay or brown mare, she never won in six starts. Instead, she finished second the second time out, and third in her fifth start. Beyond that, she has a fourth place finish, as well as sixth, seventh, and eighth place finishes.

She is by Seacliff, a stallion that swept the 1995 Florida Stallion Stakes series for juvenile colts, and out of G. Starr, a stakes-placed winner by Earth Star. Earth Star, by Deputy Minister, never raced.

That trip was fantastic, and I love the terrain in West Texas dearly. Maybe it's because I was born where the prairie meets the hills in southern Manitoba. And prairie land is my favorite, for it is so open.

It's also drier, and I have never enjoyed humid weather.

That weekend, we purchased the material for my wedding dress. It cost about $76, with coupons and sales. That was all the fabric, the thread, and the zipper. Everything.

****************************************************

Deer season opens this weekend, so D and his sister's husband are going for a hunt. After that, there will be more work done around here, and we'll be busy. Or lazy. Not sure which.

The Breeders' Cup is also this weekend, and I have made my selections. Run for the first time at Del Mar, it will be interesting to see if Arrogate can defend his Classic title, or if the Del Mar surface is his Achilles' Heel. Last year he ran down fan favorite California Chrome at Santa Anita, and this year comes in having run and lost two of the races Chrome won after his return from Dubai.

If you follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/transplantinTX), you can see my daily picks. My tweet for today's picks has already been posted.

With Thanksgiving three weeks away, and D's birthday in three and a half, we have a busy month ahead.

On another note, this is blog post 75. Just 25 more weeks to go (or less, depending on if I need to make any special mid-week posts), and we will be at 100 posts! And that means we should reach 100 on April 27, 2018.

This week I am featuring ceramic mixing bowls.

While we don't own these, we have some ceramic bowls that we absolutely love!



And that price is definitely worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest