Being a Mom

Today I change course a little. Today, I focus less on my other passions and transform this blog into telling of how I juggle being a mom with those passions - horseback riding and training, this blog, and horse racing... and being a wife. Will you join me as I tell the tales of the ups and downs of being the mother of one adorable, sometimes-cranky, people-person boy? As I write this, my eleven-week-old son is sitting next to me, grinning and chatting. Last weekend, he enjoyed being passed around from aunt to uncle and grandparent to grandparent, and meeting two people he had never seen before - my best friend and her father.


Right now, Yance sleeps about six and a half hours a night and gets fed six times a day. Woken for each meal, he spends an hour to an hour and a half awake (including meal time), and then he gets tired and cranky and put to bed. The only exception is for his morning meal, at 5:30. I always need extra sleep to survive to his last meal of the day, so he gets put to bed right after he is fed and sleeps until his 8:45 meal. I doze until D gets up and goes to work, at which point I'm at least mostly awake, and then I go back to sleep when he leaves. Because of that, I have alarms on my phone for the first two meals of the day. For the other meals, I simply watch the clock, unless he is obviously hungry well before his next mealtime.

Next Wednesday, when he is 12 weeks old, I will drop a meal, merging his noon meal and his afternoon meal, dropping the late meal. Instead of feeding him at 9:45, the new schedule put him at 8:45. He is a bit of a light sleeper, though we have discovered he prefers his little "by-your-side" type bed rather than his crib and sleeps better in there. So we have put it in the crib and it is his new sleeping surface.

This new meal routine should help him sleep longer at night and have more wake-time during the day.


Today I would like to share with you a book that has helped immensely with keeping a routine and feeding my son. I have heard that there are both extremely positive and incredibly negative reviews for this book, but my boy has not starved with it (as some on-demand feeding parents might fear), and I still get to enjoy my day (although some clock-feeders might disagree).

To tell the truth, I do lean more toward being a clock-feeder, but this book is very good about helping sort different problems out and helps figure out when Yance is likely to have a growth-spurt.

It is titled, "On Becoming Babywise", and I must thank my mother for gifting it to me before the baby was born.



I am now a part of the Amazon Affiliate program, to help bring in money so that my husband and I can get out of debt faster (we plan to accomplish this by May 2019), and so that I can pursue my dream of breeding horses!

Please share and re-tweet, and follow me on Twitter (@transplantinTX) and Facebook (Transplanted in Texas)!

In other news, we got ourselves a new car this past week and also found one of the kittens Kelly adopted from her sister... on the same day. He is a slightly shy thing, but at the moment is watching the boy doze on my bed.

I am on track to be done with the first stage of editing my book in time for the July Camp NanoWrimo, and have started research for my fiction novel, which I intend to begin writing in November for the big NanoWrimo!

Comments

  1. I'm glad the book is helping you. I found it reassuring to follow the guide. My babies were happy to be passed around too, and I'm glad about that because I would have gone crazy if I'd had to hold them all the time. They like to cuddle with me now more than they did as babies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Accidents Happen

New Year, New President