24 Hours - A Sketch

It's 2am. My alarm goes off under my pillow by my head. I wake up, yawn, and shut it off. Then I lie there for a couple minutes before getting to my feet. I go through the bedroom door and out into the hall. Directly across the hall is the spare room, and I open the door and enter. On the bed in there is a little baby-bed thing, with my half-awake and hungry little boy inside. I pick him up and bring him back to the master bedroom. Once there, I get comfortable and feed the baby, who guzzles his nighttime meal in 20-25 minutes. I struggle to stay awake while my sweetheart snores quietly. Then Yance is finished, so I bring him back to his bed, close the doors, and fall asleep in my own bed again.

The next thing I know, my husband's first alarm goes off. It's 5:30. After a minute or so, he rolls over and turns it off - and then we're asleep again.

My alarm goes off again. This time it's 6, time for Yance's next meal. I repeat what I did at 2, this time with my fingers crossed that he doesn't sleep half-way through this meal. He does that sometimes. Meanwhile, I keep my honey updated on the time - his alarm went off at 6, too, and he needs to be up by 6:20 so he is ready to go at 6:30.

About 6:25, Yance is done his meal. It's time for a diaper change. I get that taken care of and put him back to bed, and my husband is getting ready to go. His 6:30 alarm goes off, and so he comes back and holds me for a minute before saying goodbye. "Have a good day," he tells me as he stands in the doorway of the bedroom, fixing to close the door and be on his way. "I will. You have a good day too," I respond. "I'll try," he replies.

He closes the door, turns the hallway light off, and marches away, calling, "I love you!" "I love you, too!" I call back. He is gone, and I roll over and fall asleep, a little saddened because I miss him already.

9am. My third and final alarm goes off. Yance's mealtime again. I yawn, get up, and fetch him. Once he is fed, I change his diaper and then get up. Dressed, I now take him out to the couch and find some breakfast. Then I settle in and figure out my daily plan.

I start chatting via Messenger with my best friend and my husband. The blog is opened, and I'm deciding just how I want this week's post to read.

Time flies, and then I notice it's noon. Yance is awake beside me, fidgeting and waiting for his food. So I feed him, change his diaper, and then fetch myself some food. By now it's almost 1pm, so I hurry and get to editing. It's a long, rather boring process, so I am easily distracted. But I get several pages done before 3pm rolls around. Then I save the document and update Camp NanoWrimo.

It's Yance's mealtime again. As is routine, he is fed and then his diaper is changed. I set him up to be comfortable on the couch, make myself a smoothie, and tie my hair back. I eye the dish pile and decide it needs washing. So I get to it. Soon enough, they are done. Then I feed Duke and Cookie. That done, it is time to go play with the horses.

I walk out to the barn. Duke trails me. I go in and fetch my carrot stick, a halter, and a lead rope. Today I'm playing with Sneaky and then Sue.

I climb the gate into Sneaky's pen. Curious, he walks over and checks me out. I halter him and then lead him into the arena part of his pen. I begin with the Friendly Game, which he is awesome at. Then we go through the next three games: Porcupine, Driving, and Yo-Yo. He does all with ease. I reward him with several pats and a hug, and then set him loose again.

Duke was there the whole time, jumping up and down and getting in my face. He is lucky Sneaky doesn't mind him, or he would've been bitten or kicked somewhere along the line.

I climb the panel fence to get to Sue. She notices me after a minute and walks over. I halter her and proceed with the games.

She proves better at the Driving Game than Sneaky, but only because I have her at a more advanced level. For Yo-Yo, she is lazy. I then get her to finish the Games sequence - adding Circles, Sideways, and Squeeze. But she freaks out on Squeeze and I need to extend that game out. Finally, she relaxes, and when that is done I let her go. She is content.

I put the tack away and then come back to the house. Yance is still fast asleep on the couch. I sit down and drink some water and check Facebook. Shortly, I hear a truck bouncing up the driveway and into the yard. It is my sweetheart.

He comes in and sets his stuff down, announcing that he's home. Then he comes to the couch and gives me a kiss before stroking his baby boy's forehead and murmuring, "Hi!"

"How was your day?" one of us asks, and the other replies. It launches into a conversation about how our individual days were, and then we change topics. "Here's what I want done tonight," he suddenly declares.

The first part of the evening is split between watching The Clone Wars and leather work. At 6:30, I feed the baby boy again and change his diaper. It's his fussy time of day, so instead of going to sleep, he proceeds to complain and cry. We put him to bed and queue up a movie. Then I get to work on supper.

About 7:30, supper is ready. We eat it, and D is busy coming up with ideas for shooting competitions and the like during the movie. The movie comes to an end, and then we turn The Clone Wars on again. It's almost 10.

At 10pm, it's time for Yance's last meal of the day. I bring him out of his room, where he's been fussing, and satisfy his hunger. Finally, he is done eating, so we turn YouTube off and prepare for bed. Yance's diaper is changed and he's put to bed, then we crawl into bed. We're tired, but the week is almost to an end. It's about 11 when the light is turned off, and well after that before I manage to fall asleep. D has already crashed. My new day will begin in less than 3 hours, but D doesn't have to worry about a thing until 5:30.

*********************************************
Tomorrow, my sister-in-law gets married. It will be strange not having her around. Tonight, Yance and I participate in her bachelorette party/sleepover, and D will have a pre-wedding bash with his soon-to-be brother-in-law.

This week we've been dealing with congestion, caused by weather fluctuation. I have the worst of it. Nothing seems to be helping so far, and my coughing gets pretty rough. This means that I haven't played with the horses since last Thursday!

Kelly has two kittens! Tana found them in the trailer house, and the next day I investigated. They are blue lynx pointed males, about three weeks old.
Photo credit: Tana
We only stayed at the reenactment on Saturday. We arrived about noon and then proceeded to hang out with some friends until it was time for battle. Then myself and some other ladies we know found a spot to sit outside the battlefield to watch, while D joined up with a group and went out. He then "died" out there. For that, I whacked him over the head (gently!) with a mostly empty water bottle after the battle was over. He knows he's not supposed to die on me! Yance, meanwhile, was hardly held by me. A couple of older ladies that I am proud to call friends did that, and the boy slept through the battle. It was great, because cannons and guns being fired close to us could've caused a real hassle if he hadn't been okay with it.
Photo credit: a friend
The ball was okay. I did get to dance once with my sweetheart. Yance, once again, was hardly held by me. It felt great to let others coo over him and keep him company while I watched. We hung out with some friends until very late. Yance was awake the whole time, staring in awe at different things. He's a night owl.
Photo credit: me
We finally made it home after midnight, and Sunday evening ate supper in a Louisiana town with the reenacting gang our families hang out with the most. And then the reenactment was officially over.
Photo credit: same friend as above
Sue J will be 15 tomorrow. She's beginning to get on in years. I love her, even though she is generally a moody, lazy girl. She likes to act like a lazy teenager sometimes... oh, wait, she is one! When I get her back in working form, she will be a joy to ride. Until then, it's time to break down the walls she reconstructed over months of neglect on my part. You can't blame me much though. It gets harder and more tiring just to saddle and then mount even a short horse like her when you're pregnant.

Photo credit: me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest