Motherhood - First Impressions

I've watched chicks hatch and numerous animals be born - kittens, piglets, and kids. But until I delivered my own baby boy, I didn't appreciate the miracle of pregnancy and childbirth to its fullest. Yancey Lane (or Yance, as his nickname is) has provided both myself and his father some of the joys and trials parenthood can bring, in just one week of life.


Seeing my nearly eight-pound boy for the first time was amazing. Until that moment, I had no idea what a joy a baby could be. Anyone who really knows me also knows how much I enjoy being around little children. I don't enjoy it, to say the least. Ever since I can remember, I've been one to hang out with the older guys and girls and avoid anyone younger or less mature than I. One can wonder how any of my siblings got along with me, seeing as they're all younger than I.


My sweet husband loves to hold and talk to his son, and I, in turn, love to watch him do so. I expected to want to hold my baby all the time after he was born, but it seems that I'm actually content to let others hold him for me, and just watch him. Maybe carrying him for nine months was plenty <wink>. I do enjoy holding him, though, and those moments when he is fast asleep or wide awake and using those big eyes to look around are most precious to me.

A grandpa holds his first grandchild while Daddy looks on
I've been sore and tired, the former because I'm still recovering from the delivery and also because my spine and hips are not where they need to be (which will be fixed soon), and the latter because I'm feeding Yance every three hours - a pattern that continues through the night. Don't worry, though - he'll be getting eight continuous hours of sleep around two months of age.

On Wednesday, he met the horses for the first time. Or, more accurately, they met him. He was half asleep or completely asleep for the whole thing. I broke out the sling that my mom had made a while back for him, and carried him out in the sunlight on a brisk afternoon to introduce him to the world of equines he was born into. Duke, of course, thought his legs were springs and tried to jump into my arms to greet the little boy. He got pretty close, too. Fortunately for everybody, he only tried that once.
Jack nuzzles the little guy
Jack was the first to check him out. His initial investigation was nothing more than a mere sniff before he went back to grazing, but a few moments later he had to check him out again. This time, like he did at all the other opportunities that followed, he sniffed Yancey quite thoroughly and lipped his hair, obviously wondering if he was edible. The old gelding decided that the boy wasn't, but couldn't resist checking him out again repeatedly.

Windy investigated once or twice, but she, like her daughter, the three-year-old Kaylen, was disinterested, instead more curious of the dog.

Sue J overcomes her initial shock
Sue J's first reaction came before she even touched the little one. She, Kaylen, and Dingus walked over to me, and as soon as the older mare got one good look at what I was holding, she jerked her head up and stared at it with a wary eye. "What the heck is that?!" her expression seemed to say. But she overcame her initial fear and sniffed him good-naturedly.

Dingus sniffs Yance
Dingus couldn't get enough of my boy, and the seven-month-old colt stood for several minutes just sniffing Yance with his little nose. Kaylen took one or two good sniffs and then proceeded to follow Duke (who stayed clear of her) around.

Sneaky inhales Yance's head of hair
Sneaky was also curious, and stuck his head over the fence to meet the little boy. A few good sniffs, then he was ready to ask me for some pats on the neck.


Tonight, he takes his first shopping trip. It will be the second time he's been away from home. Last Sunday was his first - a half-mile drive to his great-grandma's for lunch. Then, this weekend, my family comes to take home their RV/camper, which has been parked here for a few weeks while they were back and forth working on the house and Mom was helping me for the first few days with Yance.

Despite getting a little less sleep, I do not miss the pre-Yancey days. Now I have something besides chores to take care of at home, and an adorable, expression-loaded face to cheer me up when my beloved is off at work. He is the son of my sweetheart, and that thought helps me through the moments when Yance's cries frustrate us both. I love them very much.

The pregnancy announcement- August 2016
In nine days, my husband and I will celebrate our first anniversary. Nine days. It's hard to believe it's only been a year - and at the same time, hard to believe that it's already been one whole year, not just a few months! But more on that next week.

Until then, know I will be busy caring for one little boy, and his awesome father will be caring for me. 💘

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest