Review: Thanksgiving, NanoWrimo, Birthday

Thanksgiving


I officially hate holidays.

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea behind Thanksgiving (and the four-day weekend), but I'm an introvert. Not to mention this year, I'm also a pregnant introvert, which means I get way more attention than usual for my appearance, especially since this unborn child is the first grandchild on both sides, the first great-grandchild on my side and on one of D's sides (both of his sets of grandparents are still around), and also the first great-great-grandchild for the closest surviving family members, D's father's maternal grandparents.

For me, I would prefer to spend the holidays at home with my hubby and/or maybe a small circle of friends. Instead, it is tradition to spend Thanksgiving Day with his grandparents' extended family here on the ranch, and then go to his other grandparents' place (a four-plus hour drive NOT including detours made through Dallas/Fort Worth) for the Saturday festivities, which basically is a whole bunch of family we only see once a year (or twice in this case as some were at our wedding) milling around and cooking a late afternoon meal.
Watching The Hunger Games Thanksgiving evening
Speaking of food... I'm not much into the traditional Thanksgiving fare, either. I don't like cranberries, turkey is iffy, definitely don't like stuffing, and then there are the pies. Have I ever mentioned I'm not one for the traditional pumpkin pies?

I appreciate the idea behind Thanksgiving. It's all the crowd-gathering and food I don't like. One year I hope to just spend it with my own immediate family (aka D and our kids), and maybe take a trip out of town, but not to another crowded home.
The Friday after Thanksgiving at Texas Roadhouse in Fort Worth (the new lady is a guest from New Zealand!)
I love my in-law's. Just... ahem... they can get a little bit overwhelming, even though they actually don't interact with me all that much. It's just the crowd. I am not the worst possible introvert and actually can handle crowds occasionally, but two to three straight days is a little much.

I do look forward to Christmas though. Yeah, one day with a bit of a crowd will happen but that's not bad. Plus of course the Christmas morning hunt, and the gift exchanging, and the celebration of the birth of our Savior... and it is a wonderful holiday.

NanoWrimo


My novel is nowhere near complete. However, NanoWrimo was finished with 89,946 words, which means I beat the "win" total by 39,946 words!! I hope to next week finish the novel. Between a Christmas party, my sweetheart's birthday, and all that Thanksgiving stuff... I haven't written since the 23rd.

Then of course the process of EDITING begins. Fun.

D's Birthday


D's birthday was on Tuesday. He is essentially the supervisor of the rodenticide division of the company he works for, so he got to schedule the day's farms so that he could be home early. I, in the meantime, baked him a cake and made him some lemonade.

We went to his grandparents' place to pick up his gift from them and then to his parents' to pick up their gifts, and after sitting and chatting for a while, the birthday boy and I went home. There, I made him a three-course meal: garlic bread appetizer, pork ribs w/mashed potatoes & gravy and barbecue sauce for supper, and then his chocolate frosted yellow cake for dessert, which we ate after watching about half of Cowboys vs. Aliens and letting his stomach settle after practically getting gorged on supper.

After supper, but before the movie, I gave him his gift: a customized 36 oz Yeti bottle. He loves it and has brought it to work every day since then.

Other

Well.... I came down with a head cold Tuesday, and after a rough day Wednesday and a thoroughly resting day Thursday, I recovered enough to go to the Sons of Confederate Veterans Christmas party that night.

In the process, D decided (with my permission of course... <wink>) to attempt to go to a reenactment with our best man, and I would stay with his wife. As of right now, that is still tentative, as D has to make it off work in time and I have to have everything packed. But, fingers crossed, he'll have lots of fun in the Arkansas snow and I'll get to know his best man's wife a little bit better!

Oh and the two guys  had WAY too much fun playing as part of the musical entertainment last night. Haha!

I didn't take any of these photos. All were taken by my father-in-law, except the NanoWrimo and birthday photos, which I found online.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest