Gun Shows

D owns a business (Y bar D Leather), which focuses mainly on making holsters (out of leather, obviously) for handguns. These holsters are hand-crafted once the leather is purchased--from cutting the pattern out (and some of the patterns are hand-made) to sewing it up. So, we go to local gun shows, getting our name out there and selling holsters when we can, as well as getting orders, for the business primarily focuses on custom designing the holsters, not just having a cookie cutter type arrangement.

Last weekend and the weekend before, we were at gun shows. I sewed up a couple holsters while I was sitting around on the first one, and the second weekend sat down and built this blog.



The gun show weekends consist of getting up early and arriving at the site 1-2 hours (depending on if it's Saturday or Sunday) before the show opens, and setting stuff up or straightening it out. Then D will wander around while I sit down and pretty much entertain myself, and maybe watch people come by. If they start talking, I converse with them. If they just move on, well, I kind of sadly watch them leave. Generally, if they're interested, I can get them to take a card or they do it themselves. So far, D has been watching from a short distance off when people start asking me questions I don't know the answers to, and will walk over when I motion that I need help. When he isn't wandering, I just sit back and watch, and he takes over entirely, being much more outgoing than I am. We are both introverts, but simply he is less so than I am.
On Saturdays, we start packing up loose things behind the table about 15 minutes to closing, then at closing leave with whatever we decide shouldn't stay. The rest is covered with the cloth on the table or boxed up. On Sundays, about thirty minutes from closing we start to pack up the extra things, then to clean off the table. We are usually out of there by 4:30.

At every single show, we have gotten at least one order, and this last time easily paid for our trip there. That was huge.

We plan to be at another one on July 30 & 31. If you want more information, you can like D's Facebook page, YR Ranch Trading Post.

These weekends are a huge part of our lives, for D is trying to build the business enough for us to be self-sustained on it. Right now, he holds a decent paying job where we can cover our expenses, and on occasion then some. I come from a middle-class family, but "descending" into the life of a poorer wife is no issue to me. I am thankful for what I have, and my husband keeps me content and happy. Fortunately for him, I rather enjoy the adventure of living without electricity or running water in the house. Do not be alarmed at that seeming depravity I live with; D is working tirelessly to improve our situation. Living through a hot Texas summer without air conditioning is not a goal for either of us!

As you should know (if you've read my profile), I am interested in horse racing. I even have a huge list of runners, broodmares, and stallions that I am tracking. None of those runners are competing the 148th Belmont Stakes this afternoon, but I do have a favorite nonetheless. His name is Exaggerator, and currently he is at even odds to win. My other possible choice, the ridgling Suddenbreakingnews, is at 5-1. There are thirteen horses. A third choice, Forever d'Oro (half sibling to favorite racehorse sisters Forever Unbridled and recently retired Unbridled Forever), is at last checking 67-1, the second-longest shot in the field.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

First Anniversary - Reflections