26 Months of Marriage

My husband and I have been married for two years and two months (and ten days, but who's counting.... 😄). When I think about that, it feels unbelievable. Has it really only been twenty-six months? It feels like we've known each other and been married forever!

In the short time we've been married - this whirlwind adventure that never seems to stop for a moment - I have learned many things, and matured and grown as a woman, wife, and now mother.

I married when I was just a crazy, starry-eyed eighteen year old. Now, I'm a crazy, madly in love twenty year old, but hey. I'm growing up. Even though growing up never seems to end - you just keep on growing mentally in one way or another.


So. I fell in love at seventeen, married at eighteen, was a mother at nineteen, and baby number two will be here while I'm still twenty. And I couldn't be happier.

I have always admired my man. He is my rock in this world, and it is an honor to be so trusted and loved! I mean, he chose me, while still a young, naive girl, starry-eyed and fascinated by the endless possibilities the universe presented. Me. Of all the girls and young women in the world. Boy, sometimes I wonder how he thought it was a good idea - I am terrible with communication, am awfully stubborn and bossy, and cleaning is not my forte. He is a neat freak compared to me!

But he chose me, and I chose him, and so I have learned to clean (and enjoy it! for the most part), and I am still working on my communication and stubborn, bossy traits. God is helping me in so many ways and there is nothing like marriage to force you to work on your faults - to make you improve yourself to become a better life partner!

I learned, from books my mother gave me, as well as the Bible and my dear mother's example, to respect, reverence, and defend my husband long before I was married. Sometimes it can be a challenge, but I have made it a point to not worry about changing my husband, and to instead pray and see things from his perspective as best I can.

He has a rather long fuse, and we rarely fight. When we do, it's usually because I clam up and don't communicate. Oops. Communication is key in any relationship, even more so in a marriage relationship, and I absolutely suck at it. But I'm trying, mainly because I hate to see the frustrated expression he gets when he wants to please me but I'm tired or don't care and don't tell him what I want or need. I'm apparently still learning that he can't read my mind! Or my face, or really any of my conflicting body language.

Relaxing time this past weekend
I have never, despite our crazy financial situation early in our marriage, been one to worry about money. I knew God would care for us, and I know and trust that my beloved will always make sure his family is taken care of. I am dominant, but I know that it's way more relaxing as a wife to let the husband do his job, and let him do it as he sees fit, while I do what he wishes, trying to be the best I can be, and not pester him about his duties.

He enjoys it when I take charge of the home while he is away, rearranging and cleaning and even repairing various things - or preparing things to be repaired if I do not have the knowledge or strength to do it myself. He did not marry me with the intention of spoiling me and doing everything himself while I did very little. He married me because he needed a helper, someone to encourage him when he doesn't know what to do, someone to build a home with him, and to vent and tell all his secrets to. He married me to have for himself a sweet face to come home to, a cheery smile, a creative mind, and someone to lighten the load at home so he didn't have to worry after a long day at work.

And so, I do my best to have a tidy home, smiling face, delicious supper, and a respectful, adoring gaze when he comes home. I still need to work on these, particularly the smiles and respect. Fortunately, I am blessed to have a man who understands that a pregnant mother with a fifteen-month-old son can be tired and rather sharp in the evenings. Even with the man she loves.

Enjoying the pool with my family

Every man is different, but every man must lead the home - even if he's not as good as the wife would think he should be. But with the wife's support and even her verbal encouragement and bragging on him, it helps the husband a lot. Luckily, my husband is already a fantastic leader, money manager, and spiritual guide. It's incredible that I managed to find someone like him, someone so capable mentally and spiritually to lead the home and help me finish growing up under his wing!

We spent the first two years of our marriage finding our footing, financially and as a couple. We even had a child and have been learning the ropes of parenting. But with God's help we've made it here. And with His help we will continue to grow and succeed as a madly in love, Christian couple. We will succeed as parents.

Helping me cook!
The next few years will be spent exploring options to become completely self-employed and investing toward our retirement. Our eyes are on the future, while enjoying the present with our children. Life is too short to be bitter and impatient and working constantly for the future without a thought to the present. But it's also too long to live day-to-day without thinking about the long-term.

When we get to be 70 years old, we intend to be happily retired and madly in love, enjoying grandchildren and great-grandchildren in our comfortable home here on the ranch. I am excited for our future, and excited for the children we are and will be raising. This has been a wonderful two years. Thank you, Lord, for giving me my sweet husband!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

Vlog Channel Contest