Horse Update

So I'm a little behind on blog posts. That's what happens when there's no internet where I'm at. That should change in a day or two.

But I have pictures of the horses! Windy still hasn't foaled, though. Grrr...
She is getting a lot closer though. However, it could be up to two more weeks, which will feel like an eternity.

Odo has been tackling the ants over his food, but is fine. Something did bite him on the leg the other day and we also found him in the house, which is only explained by him jumping through an open window. That was closed and a screened window was opened once we got him out. Crazy kitty.

Sneaky--he's put on some weight since this photo was taken last week
Everybody is fine. Maybe a little plagued by flies, but in good shape, if not fat. Sneaky hasn't been worked with since the accident, but I am giving him some human interaction so he doesn't get rusty on that. Hopefully I can resume with him soon. If not, oh well. I won't forget about him, though. This boy has plenty of promise! He's cutting-bred and also traces in tail-male line to Peppy San, and his dam traces in tail-male line to Depth Charge (foaled 1941), a stakes-placed Thoroughbred in the QH hall of fame, who is out of the dam of Triple Crown winner Count Fleet (won in 1943) and by the sire of Triple Crown winner Assault (won in 1946). That excites me, for I love racing, and Assault is my favorite Triple Crown winner!
Kaylen and Jack enjoying the water
 Jack and Kaylen marched right into their pond when we were back in the pasture checking on them.
Sneaky and Mandy
 Mandy was begging for attention, which isn't so normal--usually she's very unsociable, just because she wants to be. On occasion, though, she likes to see what everybody's up to. Sneaky kinda just follows her around or is far away from her. I don't think he likes her much!
My husband feeling Windy's massive belly (yes, it's a lot larger than it looks!)
Windy's udder is as full as it gets without waxing or leaking milk. It does have a clear secretion, though. Nice thing about her is when she gets this far along, she lets you just handle her and doesn't particularly care what you do. Normally she's relatively high-strung.
Sue J and me; Kaylen is in the background
 Sue is fat. Which... happens, I guess, when she has a lot more grass than she did at the old home and no exercise. I need to change the exercise routine (which right now for her is just swishing her tail, rolling, grazing, walking some, all by herself in pasture) but that'll be a little bit yet.
Jack and me
Jack finally has put on enough weight to look pretty good. You wouldn't believe he is 21! Of course, once he starts working, he'll have to have grain on the side, but finally we don't have to worry about doing that to him at pasture.

Odo, checking out the very old leftovers we gave him
And Odo, of course, gets very lonely when we leave him alone for a long time. He keeps begging for attention when we come back to check on the horses. Today, when we checked Windy, he came up and then jumped up on the truck to check out what we were looking at under the pickup's hood! He also tried to climb up my leg, but I quickly dissuaded him from following through. Those claws hurt!

I'm getting cabin feverish over at D's parents' place, but hopefully soon that won't be such a big deal, for I'll be able to ride and work with three, maybe four horses. Sneaky, Jack, Sue, and this yet unborn foal we've been waiting on for a month.

Till next time.

Oh, and happy birthday to KitMarie at Flying Free and L'Art Classique, who is my best friend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a Mom

Accidents Happen

First Anniversary - Reflections